WiFi Alliance Announces Five WiFi Direct Certified Products
"We designed WiFi Direct to unleash a wide variety of applications which require device connections, but do not need the Internet or even a traditional network," said Edgar Figueroa, CEO of the WiFi Alliance, in a statement. "WiFi Direct empowers users to connect devices — when, where and how they want to, and our certification program delivers products that work well together, regardless of the brand."
The five WiFi Certified WiFi Direct products, the Alliance announced, are:
• Atheros XSPAN Dual-band 802.11n PCIe mini card;
• Broadcom Dual-Band 802.11n 2x2 MiMO PCIe half mini card;
• Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 WiFi card;
• Ralink MIMObility 802.11 2x2 PCIe half mini card; and
• Realtek HM92C00 PCIe mini card.
WiFi Direct technology is intended for both consumer and enterprise devices, as it offers the latest WPA2 security protections. It also works with older WiFi Certified devices, offers a “push-button” setup and—unlike the limited distances of Bluetooth technology—works at a typical WiFi range.